Gau-Algesheim in Rheinhessen
Gau-Algesheim is a town in the wine region Rheinhessen. The vineyard sites in the Gau-Algesheim cadastral district belong to the Bingen area. The town is described as mild and sunshine-rich, shaped by soils suitable for growing vines. Around 500 millimetres of rainfall and slightly more than 1,800 hours of sunshine are recorded per year.
Vineyard sites and landscape
Individual sites include Goldberg, Johannisberg, Rothenberg, St. Laurenzikapelle and Steinert. The Goldberg covers 45 hectares of vineyard area and has elevations of around 100 to 230 metres. St. Laurenzikapelle extends over 38 hectares, lies at about 150 to 240 metres above sea level and is oriented to the south-east. The Steinert flanks Gau-Algesheim towards the northern foothills of the Westerberg and in the direction of the Gau-Algesheim cadastral boundary.
Soils and wine styles
The soils range from calcareous marl, chalk marl and calcareous clay on the Goldberg to loess and limestone at Johannisberg, Rothenberg and St. Laurenzikapelle. The Steinert has limestone and sand soils which, due to their high sand content, warm up quickly. At the Goldberg, Riesling is linked with a mineral character and tension; the wines there are also described as full-bodied, moderately acidic, creamy and with yellow fruit. Johannisberg stands for delicately fruity white wines and fruity rosé wines, St. Laurenzikapelle for delicate Rieslings with an acid-structured character. Rothenberg is associated with slender, refreshing or mineral and acid-balanced wines, Steinert with expressive mineral wines as well as fruit-forward white and red wines.
History
Gau-Algesheim is first mentioned in 766. Town rights were granted in 1332 and renewed in 1355. A wine market has been documented since 1339 and was described as an important source of income in the Middle Ages. The Steinert site first appears in 1303 under the name “amme Steynwingarten”. St. Laurenzikapelle is named after the chapel located above the site; the present-day Baroque church was built between 1707 and 1717 on the foundations of an older chapel.